Wednesday, December 18, 2002


MORE NOXIOUS DOUBLE-STANDARDS

Palestinians might revile Israelis as oppressors and occupiers, might bleat to the international community for redress of their political grievances. But Palestinians the world over aren't hunted down like dogs. Arabs the world over aren't targeted for extermination. Muslims the world over aren't murdered in packs. Humankind would not stand for it. The Pan-Arab alliance would not stand for it. Islamic countries would not stand for it.

Imagine, if Zionist terrorists armed with shoulder-held rockets had attempted to bring down a Saudi airplane, as unidentified militants had attempted to blast an El Al flight out of the sky over Kenya, simultaneous with the Mombasa bombing � a two-pronged attack suggesting sophisticated planning and a network of operatives, with the fingerprints of Al Qaeda all over it. The reverse scenario � Jew on Muslim � would be grounds for war, for a unified assault on Israel. And the West would be hard-pressed to interdict, to mollify


Via Angela Bell.

****************************

GIRAFFE RIGHTS

Slattery has a good post about the privacy rights of a dead giraffe. I kid you not. You couldn�t make this stuff up.

*************************

KOREAN ANTI-AMERICANISM

The anti-Americanism that seems to be rife in SOUTH Korea these days proves once and for all that the taproot of anti-Americanism is envy. It was only by virtue of thousands of young Americans spilling their blood in the Koean war that South Korea escaped from the horror to their North. One might naively think that this would induce gratitude to America. That it does not shows that there is a stronger force at work. And only envy seems to be a sufficienmt explanation. What have Americans done to earn the dislike of South Koreans? Nothing of any significance (unless you count this). All that they have done is to be their prosperous, kindly,confident and successful selves. And envious people hate them for it: So very sad for all concerned.

****************************

ANOTHER ONE FOR THE GREENIES?

Dihydrogen Monoxide, or DHMO, is a colorless and odorless chemical that kills or maims thousands each year, primarily through accidental inhalation. It has also been revealed to be a causative agent in many environmental exposure incidents, industrial contaminations, automobile accidents, and property damage. The dollar amount losses caused, and the lives impacted, by the DHMO threat are virtually innumerable.

Via NZ Pundit. If you don't know what DHMO is email me and I will tell you.

**********************************

PHONE CHINA

AP - China's mobile phone users, already the world's most numerous, surged past 200 million last month, according to state media.

They sure are making huge progress over there. Link.

*******************************

SCOTTISH PC

There is a good story about insane political correctness in Edinburgh, Scotland at �IQ & PC�. Apparently ANY picture of children is incitement to paedophilia there.

*******************************

ANOTHER SAD STORY

Marc Miyake saw my reference to the brief autobiography given by Bad Eagle and appears to have been rather moved by it. He gives a brief rundown of his own travails as a Japanese American and the conflicts it has caused him. His main difficulty, however, has clearly been his refusal to go along with the Leftist consensus in the colleges and universities where he seeks employment.

As a 5th generation Australian of WASP origin still living in Australia, I fortunately have none of the ethnic or cultural identity problems that he has but I can sympathize with the political problems. I was given tenure at a major Australian university on the strength of my academic work before anyone knew of my conservative views so my encounter with academe was not too bad but I suspect that Marc should consider a career change. He will get nowhere in academe. When I realized how limited my academic future was by reason of my views, I went into business part-time and did well enough out of that to retire at age 39 -- now 20 years ago.

***************************

BAD BOY STILL

I suspect that I am seen by some as the bad boy of Australian conservative blogging -- too �extreme�! I think that I am unlikely to change, however. I have just been looking at a few things I wrote over a quarter of a century ago in my book Conservatism as heresy. Somewhat to my surprise, I find that I was pulling few punches then too. Here is an excerpt from Chapter 1 -- which is a reprint of something that originally appeared in Nation Review in 1973. I was discussing the now thoroughly laughable Zero Population Growth movement:

If any further evidence for the obsessional neuroticism of this movement were needed, it could be found in the amazing way it treats the entire world population as an undifferentiated, featureless gruel. Because the world population is expanding steadily, it is argued that we in Australia should therefore limit our numbers.

This is to regard Australian as being in the same situation as Bangladesh -- which we most evidently are not. If love of sweeping generalizations were the basis of comparison, the ZPG movement could well be compared with Hitler�s Nazism
.

Sound familiar? Lots of conservatives started out as Leftists. I don�t think I have changed a bit.

***************************

Comments? Email me: jonjayray@hotmail.com.
If there are no recent posts here, check my HomePage for a new blog address.

***********************

No comments: