Sunday, November 03, 2002


LEFTISM AS A CLUB OF VIRTUE

The above is the topic of an excellent article by Michael Warby that I have referred to in several of my online publications. In the past however, I have only referenced the dead-tree version of it: Very remiss of me. I have just heard from a frustrated reader who has been searching in vain for the online version so here is the link. A highly recommended read.

******************

BIASED REFERENCE WORKS

Another example of how all-pervasive the Leftist bias is in what we read in print:

The 17th edition of Bartlett's Familiar Quotations is out, and this time the Gipper gets his due. When the 16th edition was published in 1992, conservatives were incensed that none of Ronald Reagan's great utterances were in it -- not even his famed exhortation at Berlin's Brandenburg Gate in 1987, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" At the time, editor Justin Kaplan -- a staunch Cambridge liberal -- conceded that the omissions weren't inadvertent: "I'm not going to disguise the fact that I despise Ronald Reagan," he said. Ten years later, Kaplan has had a change of heart -- not about Reagan, but about succumbing to his own ideological animus. "I admit I was carried away by prejudice," he told USA Today last week. "Mischievously, I did him dirt."

A rare admission but again one has to say: "Thank goodness for the internet".
Quote from Jeff Jacoby.

*********************

KRUGMAN TRUTH SQUAD

I have blogged a couple of times about economist-turned-propagandist Paul Krugman. Because he sounds unusually rational and factual for a Leftist, I felt that his diatribes deserved some reply. I will make no further such attempts, however. There is a blog here that makes a repeated point of dismantling Krugman�s specious arguments. I will leave the whole nasty job to them in the future.

************************

PC HORROR STORIES

Natalie Solent has a few stories about the horrors that political (i.e. Leftist) correctness can inflict on innocent people but this is the most frightening. Truth is absolutely no defence in the court of political correctness. It makes me glad that I am retired and therefore hard to victimize.


************************

NEW BLOG FROM CHINA

An old friend of mine has just started a new blog with a focus on China and economics. In his student days he became a Maoist but was one of that rarest of rare breeds -- he actually put his money where his mouth was and moved to China. He has now become persuaded of the virtues of free markets, however, and is lecturing in business studies at a Chinese university -- where he now gives his students a good dose of capitalist economic theory. I doubt that anyone could have made a longer journey from Left to Right than he has. His current observations are here. From what he tells me it is amazing how capitalistic China has become.

********************

PAINFUL JOURNEY

There is another blogger here who has made the journey from Left to Right -- though in her case more recently. And she is quite scathing about the double standards of some of her former �friends� on the Left.

*********************

OTHER BLOGS OF INTEREST

Thanks to a nudge in the right direction by The Bunyip (how likeminded can two bloggers be when they even use the same template!), I now have the usual all-purpose list of links down the side of my page but I thought it might still be useful for me to give my weekly update of what blogs I am at the moment following more or less regularly:

Australia:
Dr Bunyip
James Morrow
Slattery
Alex Robson.
Gareth Parker
TANSTAAFL
Ken Parish
Alan McCallum
Bizarre Science
Bovination
Jason Soon
Scott Wickstein
Gene Expression


New Zealand:
NZ Pundit
Silent Running

Israel:
IsraPundit
Not A Fish

UK:
Cinderella Bloggerfeller
England's Sword
Steven Chapman
Conservative Commentary.
Samizdata

USA:
Light of Reason
Pejman Pundit
Dr Weevil
Clayton Cramer
Common-sense and Wonder
Judd Brothers
Vodka Pundit
Instapundit
Rottweiler
ParaPundit
Philosoblog

Canada:
Enter Stage Right

Token Leftist:
Prof. Quiggin

******************

Comments? Email me: jonjayray@hotmail.com.
If there are no recent posts here, check my HomePage for a new blog address.

******************

No comments: