Wednesday, October 09, 2002

LEFTIST RACISM

My full article on Leftist racism appeared yesterday in Front Page Magazine.

Here is the concluding paragraph:

So if we compare the Leftist racism of Hitler and the racism of the very conservative British, what is the obvious conclusion? The conclusion is that feelings of racial, national or group superiority are natural, normal and healthy and can as easily lead to benevolent outcomes as evil ones. It is only racists who harbour hate in their heart generally who are to be feared.

Sound wrongheaded? Read the full article to see why it is not.


*******************

ERRATA

It is all too common that books and articles appear with minor errors or omissions in them and there were two in my �Leftist Racism� paper. I failed to give details of two references I cited. The details of the LaPiere reference are as follows:

La Piere, R. (1934) Attitudes and actions. �Social Forces� 13, 230-237

I also referred to an article by Brunton in which he pointed out that the allegedly Rightist Dutch politician Pim Fortuyn and the allegedly Rightist French politician Jean-Marie Le Pen were in fact largely Leftist in what they advocated. Brunton�s article can be found here.

*******************

Interesting comment from Larry Leonard of Oregon Magazine:

I agree with the principle that all men are racists, as long as the concept is broadened to "all men fear the stranger's ways, and skin color is just one of the ways a stranger is identified."

For most of the time Man has existed on Earth, strangers represented danger in one form or another -- to established beliefs, to property, to family, to one's own life. To a large degree that condition still holds sway on the planet. Ask a Tutsi or a Hutu. (And they're the same color!)

That is why the founding fathers of America should be considered demigods. The government they created was founded on the rights of the individual. No other government in history had done that. Even the Greek democracy and Roman Republic, for all their merits, lacked that, which is why they never proceeded to the dissolution of the institution of slavery
.

And a note from a Scotswoman who was a nurse with the British occupation forces in postwar Germany:

I am delighted that you say that there are benefits from the class superiority of the British. Having spend two years in Germany with the upper-class Brits I experienced nothing but good companionship and acceptance despite my Scottish accent. Only when marriage with one of them came up was my class (or in his case lack of family money) a barrier. I loved them.
And I guess noblesse oblige was a positive in some cases even when my grandmother and mother were servants, though only my Aunt Mary experienced
anything like caring from a master/mistress
.


*************

Comments? Email me:
Email: jonjayray@hotmail.com.

No comments: